The Mecklenburg Soil and Water Conservation District is a local government entity charged with the conservation of natural resources within Mecklenburg County.
The mission of the Mecklenburg Soil & Water Conservation District is to conserve and improve soil, water, and related resources within Mecklenburg County watersheds for all current and future land users by promoting, implementing, and publicizing programs built on best management practices.
Mecklenburg County was organized as a part of the Lower Catawba Soil and Water Conservation District on March 18, 1940. It consisted of two other counties: Gaston and Lincoln. It separated from the original district to form a county district on December 10, 1963.
The Mecklenburg Soil and Water Conservation District consists of:
Traditional crops are soybean and small grain straw.
Main crops are nursery and greenhouse crops.
J. Earl Teague masterminded and headed the Miracle Conservation Field Day on October 14, 1948. It was called "Miracle Farm Day 1948."
The Mecklenburg Soil Survey was completed in 1975.
In the spring of 1985, a multi-district project was undertaken with a display at the Southern Spring Show. Approximately 800 sq. ft. of exhibit displayed conservation on urban and agricultural areas. The exhibit involved plants such as corn, trees, grass and others. The show drew over 100,000 people.
From a $15,000 State grant, the District produced three videos on soil and water conservation: Our Agricultural Resource Base, Soil As A Resource, and Cleaner Water Through Soil Conservation.
In 1989, the District, for the first time, put up SWCD signs on major roadways coming into the District.
For the past 30 years, the District has sold tree seedlings to county residents. The highest number sold in one year was 21,000 seedlings.
In 2000, the District hired an Urban Conservationist; the first of its kind in North Carolina.